Friday 29 October 2010

Ingrid Michaelson, Jenna, Jewel and Thea Gilmore

I was going to buy just the latest Ingrid Michaelson album Everybody, but Amazon sold a double CD which includes her first album Girls and Boys and three tracks from her second Be OK. I have to say that Everybody is much the stronger, except for the superb "Glass" from Girls and Boys. Her songs are sometimes a little quirky and lightweight for my taste, but they are beginning to grow on me.

In my never ending search for female singer songwriters I sometimes find a little known gem. This time it is Jenna, or Jenna Witts to give her full name. Another album with acoustic backing to some truly superb songs. The strong title track on Brother sets the standard for a succession of remarkable tunes. Outstanding.

I had given up on Jewel after she went far too country after her excellent albums Pieces of You, Spirit and This Way. But I did find this 2006 album Goodbye Alice in Wonderland. Not up to the standard of the previous three but the odd good track. And not at all too country.

Murphy's Heart is my ninth Thea Gilmore album (I have only avoided her Christmas collection so far) and I have to say one of her best. Although listening to the first five tracks I thought I was hearing something fairly ordinary. But halfway through the songs pick up and one after another they are just great. You're The Radio and How The Love Gets In are already big favourites.

No comments: