Monday 4 October 2010

A bulk bag of topsoil

On Friday, a very large bag of topsoil was deposited on the drive, about 1m3 in size. I had ordered it from Dandy's to spread at the back of where the new borders were cut last year. Planting flowers in the new beds looked a bit odd, as they were all at the front with nothing behind. So the idea was to try and build up the rubbish ground at the back with new topsoil.

Saturday morning started fine and sunny, so I started on barrowing it to the back. Alison had promised to help in the afternoon after her morning's run, I had even thought it would take until Monday to finish as there was a lot to shift. Surprisingly, after an hour or so I had made good progress, and after a break, I was able to finish at a late lunchtime, just before Alison arrived back from her run. My back, despite some early morning twinges, had stood up remarkably well. Having raked the topsoil level, there are humps around existing shrubs, but I guess that when planted, it will look much better. I just need to spend another fortune on plants.

No comments: