Tuesday 23 February 2010

The RSC's TV Hamlet

I was so glad I recorded the BBC 4 repeat of Hamlet. This was the same production that the RSC performed at Stratford in 2008. It was beautifully filmed on location at St Joseph's College, an empty 19th century missionary school. Even the grave digging scene is shot in the quad outside. I had avoided the stage production as I thought that I would just think of Doctor Who when David Tennant came on stage. How wrong could I be. He was perfect as Hamlet. His crisp English accent, wiry body language, humour and intelligence meant we only saw a prince in distress.

Above all, the play was brilliantly directed by Gregory Doran. He is probably the best living interpreter of Shakespeare who is working today. The supporting cast were equally terrific. Patrick Stewart was vile as Claudius and the ghost. What I had forgotten was how Rosencrantz and Guildernstern betrayed their friend and what a big part they played.




No comments: