Thursday 4 February 2010

131 Songs - Number 19

Number 19 - Walk On By by Dionne Warwick

Not a favourite song, but it reminds me of my first digs after leaving home. This was in one of the flats in the large mansions in Barnes, next to Hammersmith Bridge. It was from here that I walked over the bridge to work at George Wimpey on Hammersmith Grove. The same road where I bought With The Beatles the week it was released, an LP that I played non stop for weeks.

As well as my record player, I soon saved enough to buy a portable Grundig tape recorder. I shared a room with Derek Anderson, another Wimpey trainee. There were also two older girls sharing another room. One had the Dionnne Warwick record, and I recorded them singing along to it playing in the background. If I remember, Derek married Marie, the younger of the girls. I just had the tape, now long gone.

No comments: