Saturday 20 February 2010

131 Songs - Number 24

Number 24 - Route 66 by The Rolling Stones



Not my favourite Rolling Stones song, but the first track on their first album. Back to the front room of my digs in Brighton (See Number 23) and this first LP The Rolling Stones was played over and over again when it was released in 1964. It was mainly cover versions, before Mick and Keith started their successful composing partnership. And it does have a certain clarity to the sound where every instrument stands out.

If I had to choose my favourite Stones song, it would probably be "Jumpin' Jack Flash" with "Sympathy for the Devil" (their best performed song at Wembley Stadium in 199? and "Ruby Tuesday" as second and third. But "Paint it Black" and "The Last Time" also take me back to the radio of the 60's.

No comments: