Friday 15 January 2010

131 Songs - Number 17

Number 17 - Robot Man by Connie Francis

By the spring of 1963, I had saved enough from my paper round (and borrowed the rest from Mum) to purchase my first proper brand new record player. I had been looking at the beautiful Bush machine in the shop for some time. It only played mono LP's, and pre Beatles, the only pop record in my collection seems to be "Connie's Greatest Hits". In the 50's and 60's, Connie Francis was the top female singer. But her recordings have not stood the test of time, and I can now see why. Robot Man was a huge hit in 1960, and I guess it was listening to this and others on Radio Luxembourg that led me to buying the LP. But now it sounds corny in the extreme. I said at the start not all my 131 songs would be favourites, and I guess this is one. But the LP has survived as a reminder of the excitement of my first big purchase. My Bush.

No comments: