Friday 13 November 2009

Swim class number 6

Drills, drills, drills. It was Rob this time, another coach from the swimming club. Started with crawl leg kicks holding a float, first on my back, then my front. I get some sort of propulsion when I start, but half a length and I am done for. Cramping starts after only five minutes. Must be getting old. I don't seem to have the flexibility in my feet to make them floppy. It was such a relief to go onto crawl proper. Apparently my head comes too much out of the water, which I think I knew, and was able to make some progress in this direction.

After half an hour, it was swapping instructors again and Theresa from last week took over. Breaststroke this time, just legs again, but I can manage this quite easily. Had to concentrate on the leg snap. On to the full stroke, and I could feel the tension in my legs in stretching with the snap, but it does seem to work. My arm movement needed a slight alteration with cupping my hands at my chest which turns the shoulders for a more streamlined movement. Quite different than what I have done for the last twenty years. I even received a comment that I looked like a real breaststroke swimmer. Backstroke was next, starting with that awful leg kick on my back. Tried some arm pulls and did my first ever half length. Hope that I can try this again next week.

No comments: