Sunday 22 March 2009

Waiting for Godot

It was fortunate that I booked the tickets when I did. The Milton Keynes Theatre sold out in no time for this production. What can I say other than this was one of the most enthralling experiences at the theatre ever. There was something special in the stellar casting of Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart as Estragon and Vladimir. And boy, did they put on a performance. I cannot remember such brilliant acting, or when I laughed so much. Ian McKellen was born to do comedy. His timing and delivery were fabulous, he should do stand up. With Patrick Stewart also on top form, they were a wonderful music hall comedy duo. And sharing the evening with Zoe made it perfect.

I also found the programme for the National Theatre production that opened on 25 November 1987. Unfortunately it was not in the same class. It just shows what happens when two major stars turn a difficult play into what one review called "theatrical magic". It certainly passed the time - "It would have passed in any case, but not so rapidly".






There was one play I recall where Ian McKellen was equally funny. "Black Comedy" was the second of two plays I saw at the Theatre Royal, Brighton in January 1968, and his performance was hilarious. He was 28 at the time (I was 23) and just breaking into the big time. We are both a lot older now, if not wiser.

Below: James Bolam, Liz Frazer and Ian McKellen in the dark in "Black Comedy".

PS. I did find the Programme for "Black Comedy". It was at the Theatre Royal, Brighton for week commencing 5th February 1968. Here it is.


No comments: