Monday 23 March 2009

Fulham 2 Man Utd 0

On Saturday, Fulham beat Manchester United at home for the first time since 1964. I just wondered if I might have been there all those years ago. Not only did I go to watch Chelsea, but my friend Ray would often suggest going to other grounds when the blues were away. So I went into the loft and found my box of old programmes. I was amazed how many times I watched Fulham play that season. And yes, I was there to see them beat Man Utd 2-1.



The Fulham team included George Cohen at fullback. He played in the 1966 World Cup winning team. And Johnny Haynes, widely regarded as the best player to play for the club, was coming towards the end of his career.

P.S. I also used to watch Fulham play in 1950's. One of my best friends at school used to go to every home game with his father, and I joined them on a number of occassions. Johnny Haynes was in the early part of his career and Jimmy Hill (the bearded wonder) played up front. I can remember the game when they again beat Manchester United.

No comments: