Friday 13 March 2009

Gran Torino, The Unborn and Watchmen

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Gran Torino has taken more at the US box office than Slumdog Millionaire. It was OK, but fairly predictable. As a drama, it was written well enough. I guess I was waiting for the big shoot out, that the plot first promised. But it became clear it was not that kind of movie. Clint Eastwood's character was pretty one dimensional, the surrounding cast were much better.

The Unborn turned out to be a good ghost story, rather than a horror film. Panned by the critics (except Jonathon Ross, on whose recommendation I trusted) it had an interesting plot, reasonably well written, and an exciting conclusion. Odette Yustman (from Cloverfield) did well enough in the main role. I thought it was better than Gran Torino.

Watchmen is a complex and dark movie. It was said to have faithfully followed the popular graphic novel of which I had no knowledge. It was a very long film, but it needed the time to describe the alternative America of 1985. I liked the use of flashbacks to give us the back story of the main characters. But they were all so unpleasant, that sometimes we needed something lighter and more heroic. The special effects worked well and the sets were excellent as was the soundtrack and the choice of songs, Sound of Silence especially. If I have one complaint, it was that they only played the intro to Nena's 55 Luft Ballons. But this was more than made up by the track played over the final credits. Bob Dylan's Desolation Row by My Chemical Romance slammed me back in my seat. The best exit music since Matador by Los Fabulos Cadillacs in Grosse Pointe Blank.

No comments: