Monday 5 February 2007

Whiteleaf Hill and Ashridge


Saturday morning walks have always been special. Up until five years ago, it was always swimming on a Saturday morning. First of all at High Wycombe Sports Centre, then at the fitness club at the nearby Holiday Inn and finally at the Maxwell Pool in Aylesbury. But when I went on to four days a week in 2001, this coincided with the opening of the new Aqua Vale, and I started going on Wednesdays.

So this has now left Saturday mornings free for a walk. On Saturday I choose one of my favourite circular walks from Whiteleaf Hill near Princes Risborough. The last time I was there it was autumn. I avoid this walk after rain as it gets quite muddy. But Saturday was a glorious day, chilly with clear blue skies, but no wind. I avoid the normal rout which follows the bridleway and instead head downhill on the Ridgeway towards Lower Cadsden. I turn off right before the bottom and head through Ninn Wood to come out into the open to take paths that track the hedges of large fields. Crossing the road and head up Hampden Chase to Dirtywood Farm and again through woods to Hengrove Wood and the road at Buckmoorend. At the first house, a footpath crosses a field, now with good views of Chequers.

Crossing the same road, the path heads up through Pulpitt Wood to the top of Pulpitt Hill with great views over Aylesbury Vale. The path then leads downhill and soon joins the Ridgeway which is followed to Lower Gadsden before the lung bursting ascent of Whiteleaf Hill. There is a better detour off the Ridgeway to follow the open ridge which is the old route of the Ridgeway. This has better views, but means walking back along a road to Lower Cadsden. However, I think there may be a connecting path, which I shall look for next time.

Sunday was a similarly beautiful day, so I headed off to Ashridge. Parking at the monument, I head down the hill to Albury, turning right past the Walter Swinburn Stables, across the golf course to meet another section of the Ridgeway. The views across Pitstone, Ivinghoe Beacon (where the Ridgeway ends) and the countryside beyond make the open ridge section one of the best in the Chilterns. You can even see the snow dome in Milton Keynes.

No comments: