Friday 2 February 2007

Retirement Projects

I haven't started any yet, but its about time I at least listed the Projects that will keep me busy during the early part of my retirement.

Edward Seymour, Earl of Hertford, Duke of Somerset and Lord Protector 1547 - 1550

I became interested in this passage of English history when I read "Children of England" by Alison Weir. These three years were the first of the reign of Edward VI who came to the throne when he was only nine years old, and saw the rise and fall of Protector Somerset. The story that is of particular interest to me ( and one which I intend to research) is his relationship to his brother, Richard Seymour and his with Elizabeth ( who later became Queen Elizabeth I) between the ages of 13 and 16.

Mum and Dad

In April 1999, I was sorting through papers from files left by my Stepmother, Margaret. It was then I started thinking more about mum and dad and their life together. How they came from very different backgrounds and became the first generation from both families to move away from Yorkshire. I have already made a few notes from talking to various aunts, but there is a lot stored in the memory banks that I need to set down. I then thought I would like to know more about their ancestors.

Family History

So in the September of 1999, I found an evening class in Genealogy. This gave some good advice on tracing family history. I spent the next two years doing all the basic research, meeting relatives etc and I came to the point when it would mean a lot of travel to local archives throughout the country, and time on the computer to write up my findings. I decided to put everything on hold until I retired. When my new computer arrives, I want to purchase "Family Historian 3" which seems to be the best bit of software recording details of all my ancestors and creating charts.

Places to Visit

The list of places to see (just to mention a few) range from the Tate Modern and Millennium Bridge(never been), the Thames Barrier, Sotheby's, Cross Ness Pumping Station, RHS Gardens at Bisley, Savill Garden, Kew Gardens to Broadway Tower Oxford, the Severn Bore, the Anderton Boat lift and Falkirk Wheel.

31 Songs

Nick Hornby is one of my favourite authors. He says in his book "31 Songs" that "I wanted mostly to write about what it was in these songs that made me love them". He talks about songs that remind him of certain events "but I don't own any of them - none of them means anything to me as music, just as memories, and I didn't want to write about memories".

But then he includes "Puff the Magic Dragon" (albeit a reggae version by Gregory Isaacs) and its relationship to his son Danny. So mine will be a vehicle for some of my memories.

Favourite Things

These will start of as just as occasional lists. Favourite films, favourite directors, favourite singers, favourite walks. That's probably enough to keep me busy.

No comments: