Friday 4 October 2024

Classic Movies on Sky Arts - Series 2 Episode 3 - The Producers

 

I had never wanted to see The Producers and after this programme I have not changed my mind. I just cannot stand Mel Brooks. However, am I missing something? This episode might tell me. First came the novel and then the play Springtime for Hitler. A change of title for the film. Starring Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. Not at all encouraging so far. Steve Punt called it a "radical idea" and "a dark satire". Sounds interesting. But the clips we saw there were the stars just screaming at each other. All hysteria from Wilder. Mmmm. They are putting on a musical to fail. Maybe not. The New York locations might be OK. 

When it opened, the film received mixed reviews. Some people were appalled calling it "gross, rude, offensive". Others loved it "Best thing they had ever seen". Christina Newland thought it daring while Stephen Armstrong liked it's irreverence. Neil Norman and Kim Newman were no where to be seen. I wonder why. It was left to host Ian Nathan to say that it's reputation has grown. It was daring at the time.

Definitely not changed my mind.

No comments: