Saturday 17 August 2024

Village Walk in August



I do enjoy the circular four mile walk from the house. I cross Wendover Brook to reach the church of St Mary the Virgin. Across one grassy field, avoiding the cows. (Picture quality poor on my phone.)


Before I arrive in a much larger corn field that takes me to the canal. This week it had been harvested. There is the Chiltern Ridge in the distance.




At the end of the field is a gate to the upgraded canal footpath of the Wendover Arm of the Grand Union Canal.


With some great views across fields to the Chilterns in the distance. Although not in this photo.


Lots of ducks on the canal.


Arriving at Halton, I can cut through a hedge and walk around the perimeter of the cricket field. These days only used for parking for the odd event.


Then around the village crossing over the canal 


and back along the footpath next to the brook to reach the reservoir.



Here I had noticed a distinct lack of wildlife for the last few weeks. All the ducks and swans seemed to have left, Just the odd moorhen in the reeds. It was all quite sad. 

Then out of the blue this week, the swans had returned. In the Spring there were two adults and three signets. It seems the latter had grown as there were now five swans. One of which was swimming with two new signets. So all is fine.


The circular walk is over four miles and this time of year I make the most of the dry footpaths. Come winter and they are almost impassable. 

No comments: