Thursday 14 September 2023

Ridgeway and Wendover Woods Walk



It was a beautiful sunny and fresh morning when I set out for one of my favourite walks. It starts from Wendover and follows The Ridgeway all the way up into Wendover Woods where a fairly level path arrives at the Cafe. Then along the main path to the start of Boddington Hill where a very steep path heads back down to Wendover.

The first part of the route from Wendover on The Ridgeway is of little interest, until the start of the uphill section through the woods that border the hill.



This is where it levels out. My favourite part of the walk.

Approaching the end of this section.

Just before the exit to the road, there is large open area where logs were stored after forestry operations.

Then across a road and through the gate into Wendover Woods.

There is one nasty little dip where I'm always glad I have my pole.

The path then meanders through the woods coming out near the cafe with views across to the early part of the route.


Up to this point (an hour and forty minutes) I had not seen a sole after having left Wendover.

Just after the start of Boddington Hill, there is a right hand turn and the steep path down.

Boy, do I need to hand onto those ropes on the steepest section where the path turns right in the distance.

Finally I arrive at the single track Beechwood Lane and my car is just around the corner. It took me just over two hours. In the past it was always an hour and fifty minutes. A distance of over five miles.

Looking at all my Chiltern walking books, this route is not in any. I have always thought the path up The Ridgeway from Wendover is one of the best. All the photos (except the cafe) were taken on my phone.


No comments: