Tuesday 4 April 2023

Tring Book Club - Fingers in the Sparkle Jar by Chris Packam

 

This book is mainly about Chris Packham's childhood (so is all the detail mainly imagining?) when I wanted more about his adult life. He talks a lot about his life long interest in living things so we get tadpoles, insects, birds, foxes, reptiles, fruit bats, snakes and even prehistoric creatures. None of which I find remotely interesting. A lot of the book is written in the third person, alternating with first person and even once from the view of an old lady when Christopher talks to her about the kestrel. The book constantly goes backwards and forwards in time. I like this in a novel but not a memoir. This was a book club choice so I tried to do my best to find positive things to say.

The first is I liked those chapters (more like insertions all in italics) when he is talking to his therapist when he is an adult. "I only seem to mess up when I thought things were going really well". Why could it not have all been like this. But this is not a traditional linear autobiography such as David Niven's outstanding "The Moon's a Balloon". However, there were things from his childhood that resonated with my own: Crackerjack, (my mother missing my one and only TV appearance when fog meant I was chosen from the audience. No mobile phones in those days), bubble and squeak, a paper round and not being allowed to watch Randall and Hopkirk. For me that was Quatermass.

There were mixed feelings at the book club meeting, but plenty to talk about. My choice next: "Lessons in Chemistry".

No comments: