Monday 6 February 2023

Chequers Walk

 

A favourite circular walk (never before posted with photos on this blog) on Friday started at the car park at the top of Coombe Hill. Through the woods the bracken (above photo), which is head height in summer, is now just a carpet. Arriving at Dunsmore, I love this view down to the stables at the bottom of the hill. And Cobnut Farm next door. There is a path through the trees at the top right of the picture which is where I headed next.


 Just up from the stables, I watched this wall of flint stones being built at Ashmore many years ago before I took up running.


The path through the beech woods is one of my favourite places in all the Chilterns. It is long and usually deserted.

It arrives at the top of a hill with Chequers in the distance.


The mud on the path through the Chequers estate had tried but was very clingy. In the distance is the monument at the top of Coombe Hill.

The path then reaches more woods and a tricky descent, now with steps and handrails.

Which brings you out to Beacon Hill and views towards Aylesbury.

At the bottom of the hill is Ellesborough  and the Church of St Peter and St Paul.

Then across a field of drying mud with closer views of Coombe Hill and my destination.

This may well be the last time I try the ascent of Coombe Hill from the golf course below. It is steep and long, not helped by some slippery places. But there is a nice view back to that field above and Beacon Hill top left.

It was a beautiful sunny day when I started off, clouding over later. Chilly to begin with but I was warm by the end. Photos again from my phone so not the best. Will take my camera next time.

No comments: