Thursday 9 February 2023

Songs from the Movies


This was first posted on the 31st January 2018. There are a couple of additions to bring it up to date.

When I compiled my list of 131 Songs, I missed this one in the section on "Songs from the Movies". There are those rare occasions when a track fits perfectly with a particular scene. In the film "About Time",  Tim (played by Domhnall Gleeson) sits on a bench in the Kate Moss exhibition, hoping to catch a glance of Mary (Rachel McAdams). The sharp editing is accompanied by the song Friday I'm in Love by the Cure. Not my favourite band, but the whole thing is just brilliant. It still gives me Goosebumps.

Here is my definitive list of similar movie moments:

The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel from "The Graduate". I love the scene at LAX and believe the reuse of the song at the end does it no favours.

Come Up and See Me by Cockney Rebel from "The Full Monty". The lads in training up on the moor always makes me smile!

Earth Angel by Marvin Berry from "Back to the Future". The edit after they ask Marty if he knows anyone who can play a guitar is the sharpest in movie history.

Time after Time by Cyndie Lauper from "Strictly Ballroom". When Scott and Fran dance on the roof to this song, it gets me every time.

Cat People by David Bowie from "Inglourious Basterds". This is what I posted at the time:

The beginning of Chapter Five "Revenge of the Giant Face"  subtitled  "Night of NATION'S PRIDE Premier" from Quentin Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds" is definitely my favourite five minutes on film. The first chords of David Bowie's "Cat People" over the captions is only the start. As his vocal comes in, the beautiful Melanie Laurent as Shosanna Dreyfus leans seductively by the  fabulous huge circular window of her cinema, contemplating the terrible revenge she has organised for that night. It is only on repeat viewings that I now see the startling editing which comes next. Four times we gradually get closer to Shosanna, as each shot melts into the other. This is film making at it's peak. I mentioned on a previous posting (11th August 2010) about how Shosanna initially applies rouge as warpaint during the ultra close up as she applies her make up. The song ends as she dons hat and veil and makes her way to the balcony where she watches all her victims gather. (Melanie Laurent was absolutely brilliant in this film, warranting awards and nominations for best actress from a number of film societies.) I cannot think of a more dramatic sequence from any movie. 

Hold Tight by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich from "Death Proof". While we are on the subject of Tarantino.

You Never Can Tell by Chuck Berry from "Pulp Fiction". And another from the same director. The sequence at Jack Rabbit Slims when John Travolta and Uma Thurman dance the twist.

Love on the Rocks by Neil Diamond from "The Jazz Singer". I can't hear the song without thinking of the sequence in the recording studio.

Let it Snow by Dean Martin from "Die Hard". It was so funny to put this song over the final few seconds and then the titles.

Don't Worry Baby by the Beach Boys from "Deja Vu". I have no idea why they chose this song for the scene on the ferry, but it adds to the drama somehow. Brian Wilson just took Be My Baby by the Ronettes and made it better. For me, the verse is one of the best in the whole of popular music.

Hotel California by The Gypsy Kings from "The Big Lebowski". The scene that introduces us to Jesus Quintana at the bowling alley is quite something.

The Ballad of Lucy Jordan by Marianne Faithful from "Thelma and Louise". If ever a track said it all about the main characters.

Then recently 99 Luftballons by Nena from "Atomic Blonde".

 All the songs from  "Baby Driver" but I was most moved by Unsquare Dance by The Dave Brubeck Quartet as it took me back to the days when I mostly listened to jazz.

The next song doesn't really fit the in the same category as those above, El Matador by Los Fabulos Cadillacs from "Grosse Pointe Blank" plays over the end credits and had me glued to my seat.

Then two songs sung by the actual artists. Anything from "A Hard Day's Night" by The Beatles (I Should Have Known Better if I had to choose) and I've Waited So Long" by Antony Newley from "Idol on Parade". The 1959 film shows my age.

And finally, three songs from TV shows. One Of These Mornings by Moby from "Torchwood" Series 2 Episode 3, Shelter from the Storm by Bob Dylan from "Flash Forward" and last but by no means least, my favourite five minutes of TV: Take the Long way Home by Supertramp from the end of the final episode of "Ashes to Ashes".

Then there are the songs from Call The Midwife. That is why I post the list of songs from that show.

8th February 2018: I can now add another song having just seen the Nick Park movie "Early Man". This is Mud's Tiger Feet now performed by New Hope Club. It might be a homage to the movie "The Full Monty" (see above), but this time the stone age men do a hilarious football training routine. Brilliant. It makes me want to see the film again just for this.

9th February 2018: I was reminded, hearing it this morning, of I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by the Proclaimers. It is worth watching the whole of the (quite hammy) movie Sunshine on Leith for this final big outdoor number. There are bits in there that still bring a lump to my throat today. Eat your heart out Danny Boyle.

7th August 2020   From the last scene and final credits of the Pedro Almodovar film Gloria comes the title song performed by the original artist Umberto Tozzi.

And remembering all the great songs from both Mama Mia movies; from which I have chosen One Of Us from the sequel.

From the movie Last Night in Soho comes a brilliant song Don't Throw Your Love Away by The Searchers. It fitted the film so well.

Then from Don't Worry Darling, we have a terrific soundtrack. Here is the fairly obscure but excellent Sh-Boom by The Chords.

No comments: