Friday 12 August 2022

The Glass Menagerie at The Duke of York's Theatre

 

I have to admit that it was only the chance to see Amy Adams on stage that brought me to hot sunny  London yesterday. It was lovely and cool in the theatre. Amy played Amanda Wingfield and looked quite matronly. That was surprising when comparing the photos above and below. The Guardian said that she was "puzzlingly cheery and wholesome" which I thought was about right. 

I had not seen the play before so that was interesting. I liked the story and the dialogue is great. The set is very strange, but there is one turn of events late on that is visually brilliant. I'm never sure about having a narrator but here it just about works. Then there is the one long scene late on that I loved when Amanda's daughter Laura talks to the visitor Jim O'Connor. I thought this was the best part of the play. Here they are.

Laura is described in the play as a cripple and she is wonderfully played by Lizzie Annis (who has cerebral palsy) in her professional stage debut. The opposite in experience to Amy Adams. The whole cast and the set shown below.

The Duke of York's Theatre was built in 1892 and is one of many on St Martin's Lane. It is typically cramped but beautiful. I had a great seat in the second row of the Royal Circle.

The journey to London went exceptionally well. Lovely air con on the the Chiltern Railways trains and the return journey not stopping until Great Missenden. Even the Underground wasn't too bad in the 32C heat.

No comments: