Tuesday 21 June 2022

A short break in Buxton

 

When Alison decided once again to take part in the Baslow Boot Bash, it was good opportunity to revisit the Peak District, and for me to go to Rotherham to finish my family history. 

We travelled up on Thursday 16th June, Alison drove the 3 hours non stop. We parked at the guest house and walked around Buxton and the parks. 

We were lucky to find a table outside a cafe for lunch, sharing a barm. There were some benches in the shade up on The Slopes (photo above) and Pavilion Gardens.


We unpacked the car and took the 55 steps up to our attic room in Roseleigh. Unfortunatley the windows at the top were too high to see the view across the lake.


This was the view from a chair in the lounge.


Looking for somewhere to eat , we were delighted to find Simply Thai, a nice relaxed restaurant where I didn't feel conspicuous in my shorts! Fab service and a lovely walk back in the evening late sunshine.

We had always planned on visiting the National Trust property at Ilam and arrived just after it opened at 10am, having had a super breakfast. A really wonderful setting amongst the hills.


After a walk around the property, we headed for Dovedale. The first part of the route across fields was deserted. 


Unlike the start of Dovedale where the car park was crowded. As was the whole route up and past Stepping Stones which I just manged by not stopping. If only it had been like this.


We pushed on, hoping the crowds might thin but with no luck. I had thought there might be some nice shade along the path, as some of the tourist information shows, but we were always in full sun. So we called it a day and turned round to go back, just finding a quiet spot to take a photo of the river. This is why it looked a shady walk/


Back at Ilam, it was wonderful. Alison (obviously) went off to look at the old High Cross Church, some Saxon and Norman bits.  and I sat on a bench in the shade.


We found a nice route along the neighbouring river and then we were lucky again finding a table in the shade at the cafe for scones and tea.

In the evening we had a take out from the recommended restaurant Santiago and sat in Pavilion Gardens just before it started to cloud over and cool down. 




On Saturday we were up early for me to drop off Alison at Baslow for her event. I was off to visit my home town of Rotherham - see separate post.

We met up at 2pm and had time for a walk down the Monsal Trail from Hasop Station.

And of course tea and cake in the cafe there.

It was Pizza Express in the evening. we had to take a brolly for some dampness after heavy rain at 6pm. The day had been cooler at 17C after the previous days sunny and very warm.

On Sunday we drove to Macclesfield for me to catch a train home. The scenery across the cloudy high peaks was amazing.

Alison dropped me off at the station and went off to see her sister in the Lake District. The train I wanted had gone missing, so I decided I had time to climb the steep cobbled lane to the town centre. I was amazed to find the square was hosting a concert. I had a long chat with one of the high viz marshals and listened to a terrific group playing on the stage.


I grabbed my newspaper from a deserted nearby WH Smith, found my way back to the station and my train home. Although changing at Milton Keynes, the train to Tring was cancelled for a broken down engine in front. So a wait for a train to Berkhamsted, and another wait for a taxi to arrive. But I was in no rush to get home, and I had my Sunday Times.

Just one last photo as we left of the Canada Geese, of which there were so many in Pavilion Gardens.



No comments: