Tuesday 29 March 2022

The Garden in March

 

What a wonderful month March has been for being out in the garden. The daffodils have been great and there are still some other Narcissi to come into flower. The lawns have been mown twice and the edges cut.


Then in the last week the compost from the heap at the far end made three years ago has been spread in the long border and the wildflower bed. (Note: because I had turned over the heap a couple of times, it didn't have to be broken up in the wheelbarrow as in previous years). 


But before spreading the compost, I had to clear the long border of weeds and stones which meant getting next to the fence and behind the shrubs. That was not great on my back so maybe the last time I try that.

But the border does look better for being cleared.

I then needed four bags of new compost for the main border.


Other bulbs are now in flower including the Hyacinth above and below.




The primroses are as good as ever.



The viburnum in the middle bed is flowering well after being revived from that insect infestation.


Below is the  Osmanthus barkwoodi which I cannot before remember flowering in March.


The one thing that surprises me every spring is that many of the perennials have disappeared. Even the old growth has gone. Then bingo, tiny shoots appear coming up through the ground. Delphiniums, Salvias, Hosta's and Verbena fall into this category. One of the best bits about gardening.
This is the Hosta Fire and Ice.


Next the Verbena Hastata.


Then the Delphinium Pacific Giant.


And finally the Salvia Friesland.


However, the Penstemon and Astrantia do not disappear and are already doing fine.




The Magnolia stellata is not quite as healthy as previous years, but still a great sight this time of year.


The mild sunny weather also meant I could jet wash the pavings earlier than normal.




The pavings are showing their age(something like 25 years)  but the coping to the dwarf wall comes up a treat. I didn't use patio magic as I did in May 2019. Then they looked better as shown on my post of 6th May that year.

No comments: