Wednesday 4 August 2021

Marlow and Oxford Botanic Garden

 

Although I had been to Oxford Botanic Garden before (September 2019), our visitors (Alison's sister and her husband) had booked tickets for their last day with us. We had enjoyed the previous day at Marlow with a walk along the river to Temple and Hurley Locks. Especially the teacakes at Hurley Lock Teashop.

With views of the boats in the lock. A lovely sunny day.

In Oxford the next day, we were able to park at the fairly quiet Queensgate car park. Well, it was a Monday and it was the school holidays. Previously, we had always used the park and ride, but our visitors had cases to deposit at their accommodation. In the end parking at Queensgate was economic for four people and the route via Cowley and the ring road was not too bad.

After Alison and her sister had been shopping and I had used the free wifi in the shopping centre, we headed for the Art Cafe for lunch, a favourite with Alison.

We arrived at the Botanic Garden for our 2.30pm entry and I found it was just as good as my previous visit.

There was lots to see in the borders including these lovely blue Eryngium. I don't have any blue in my garden, so these are on my list for next year.

As are the Astrantia Major, much taller than my Astrantias. The clue is in the name.



Unfortunately, the weather turned with a long heavy shower, so we sheltered under a large tree just by the central fountain.

Then through to the far garden and the lovely display along the dividing wall.




Finally into the greenhouses that had only just re-opened. Here are the big Lilly pads.



And, surprisingly, lots of Anthurium.


I wanted to check if I had the Philadelphus below that looked as if it had been recently planted.


This was mine in June.


It was five pm when we went back to the car to collects the cases and say goodbye to our visitors. It had been a really good three days and great to have people to stay for the first time for so long.

No comments: