Monday 31 August 2020

The Films of Pedro Almodovar - Part 4

The Skin I Live In



I cannot remember having seen the first two films at the cinema. Although released in 2011 and 2016 respectively, they do not appear on my blog, so I must have watched them on TV. The first of these, The Skin I Live In I have seen more than once. It is such a great thriller.

Julieta



Julieta is an absolutely brilliant film, moving,as it does, through time and place. Apparently it was based on three short stories from the eight in Alice Munro's collection called Runaway. (I called the book a feat of ingenuity). The older Julieta is played with aplomb by Emma Suarez and her younger self by the equally superb Adriana Ugarte. I need to watch it again.

Pain and Glory



This is what I said after seeing the film; my post of the 11th September 2019: For Pain and Glory, Pedro Almodovar has written and directed a semi-biographical movie about a director who has given up. His various ailments give him too much pain. Antonio Banderas has given the performance of his career. He called it the role of his life. It will be a travesty if he doesn't win the Oscar. He is in the picture nearly the whole time and is ably supported by a fantastic cast. The switches in time work really well. I loved his apartment and how it was furnished. So did those who enter. Almodovar is on top form.

He should have won the Oscar but only Antonio Banderas received a nomination for best actor. It was left to Time magazine to get it right and make it the best film of the year.



No comments: