Thursday 18 June 2020

David Bowie: Finding Fame on BBC2


David Bowie: Finding Fame is the third part of Francis Whately's trilogy that was shown on BBC2. Although it describes how David Robert Jones became David Bowie, what I wanted to hear was the period when formed the band David Bowie and The Buzz. Why? Because I saw them perform at Sussex University on 22nd October 1966. The programme confirmed what Richie Unterberger says on the All Music website that Bowie left a band called The Lower Third and recruited a new band called David Bowie and The Buzz in February 1966.


David was nineteen at the time, so younger than many of his more successful contemporary's. I was two years older at twenty one. At that time I had no knowledge whatsoever about Bowie and as I said on my previous post, I have no memory of him playing that night in October 1966. It is only having the ticket that I know I must have seen him play. Only two months later he disbanded the band wanting to go alone, although in 1967 he joined an existing band called The Riot Squad.

This is what I said on the 27th February 2010:

For some reason I still have the ticket, which might now be worth a few bob on eBay. The date was the 22nd October 1966, and I have absolutely no memory of the gig whatsoever. which is a shame, given the success Mr Bowie had in later years. And not many people will know the name of his band at the time: David Bowie and The Buzz. 


No comments: