Tuesday 7 April 2020

Forsythia


It was almost exactly three years ago that I published a post on pruning the forsythia. This year it was equally in desperate need of a major prune after an even more disappointing spring flowering. So yesterday I need my long handles secateurs and a couple of saws to bring some discipline to the shrub. The worst part was going on my hands and knees to saw the oldest stems back to the ground. They were so difficult to reach, I almost gave up.

It was only when I stepped back that I realised I had created the fan shape that was recommended by the experts. It will be interesting to see how things progress.


There is now a huge heap of prunings at the far end of the garden that will have to wait until the tip reopens.


These are the photos from three years ago.




No comments: