Sunday 19 April 2020

Film Night Part 1

In the time of lock-down, Saturday night is film night in our house. The movies may be strange choices, but they have to suit two people with widely different tastes when it comes to picking films to watch. With no new movies to review on my blog, this are the best I can do.

Charade


We are somewhat reliant on those films that are shown on free to air channels. We were lucky that we found a classic 1963 Hitchcock-type comedy thriller directed by Stanley Donen. (See my reports on The Directors on Sky Arts). I must have seen Charade a couple of times, but that was so long ago I had no idea of the plot.

The Lavender Hill Mob


The 1951 production of The Lavender Hill Mob was the best of the Ealing comedies that were shown every afternoon on that particular week. It seemed very dated to me, but it was short and harmless.

Victoria and Abdul


Victoria and Abdul was my choice as I missed it when it was shown in Cinemas. Anything produced by Working Title is normally worth seeing, but the location photography would have been much better seen on the big screen. Alison was not impressed and didn't watch much. It's her choice next and I shall probably read a book.

No comments: