Friday 16 August 2019

New London Architecture


It all started in 2014 when I went on a tour of the new £3 Billion Kings Cross redevelopment with Zoe and Hannah. The photo above shows the Granary Building and Granary Square.


But it wasn't until two years later that I arrived at the National Theatre to see the £80 Million refit described as  "Brutalism's Fine Revival".


Then in 2017 I returned to Kings Cross which was now in a far advanced stage of development. The apartments in the old gas holders were nearly complete. I want to go back now that the Coal Drops Yard is open.



 On to 2018 and the £2 Billion Paddington Basin.


More tasteful was the £50 Million redesign of the Royal Academy that I visited in the same year.


As was the new £50 Million V&A Museum Exhibition Road Quarter, also visited in 2018.


The most disappointing has to be the £2.2 Billion Nova Victoria. Ugly office blocks and a run of the mill shopping mall. My 2019 trip was a waste of time.


Completely the opposite is Battersea Power Station which I visited this month. This will be the most amazing of all the new London develpments. Well it does come in at £ 8 Billion.

So what is next? Well, apart from Coal Drops Yard, it has to be the new Weston Tower and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Galleries at Westminster Abbey. And one day Crossrail. If I live that long!

No comments: