Monday 5 August 2019

Bearbrook 10K


Another warm day with too much sun for a decent time. I only entered Sunday's Bearbrook 10K  midweek when the forecast was cooler and cloudier. Not expecting to enter, I ran 8.72 miles on Tuesday at a good pace and excellent heart rate due to the persistent and heavy rain. So maybe that was not a good way to prepare.

I knew it was going to be hard when my heart rate was above 160 in the first half mile, reminding me of exactly the same thing at the MK Half Marathon in May 2018. Actually, the first half of the race wasn't too bad .It was only when I turned left at the Clock Tower in Wendover to go up the hill to Halton that I first felt the sun beating down. Turning at the top to go down Chestnut Avenue, there was some nice shade, only to it the full force of the sun going down Airfield Road.

In the end I had to be pleased with my time of 58 minutes 44 seconds, a fraction inside my time for the London vitality 10,000. But I have never had such a high average heart rate, 167 is too high compared to the average 140 on that wet Tuesday running up the same hill. I was seconds away from finishing 3rd of the nine 70+ runners, so that was good.

I was pleased to see Alison at the start and finish and tried to ignore the deafening support from my neighbour Angie who was marshalling out on the course for her club. And it was good to see lots of friends from parkrun taking part or supporting. At least the cap is a Man City blue.


No comments: