Thursday 14 February 2019

David Bowie: Finding Fame on BBC2


Part three of Francis Whately's Bowie trilogy describes how David Robert Jones became David Bowie. In 1965, David joined The Lower Third as their singer David Jones. They recorded three singles that disappeared without trace. The last was his composition "Can't help thinking about me" for which the billing now read David Bowie and The Lower Third.

Having left The Lower Third, Bowie recruited a new band in February 1966 to form David Bowie and The Buzz. Not only did they play The Marquee club (on Sunday afternoons?) but they also played that famous gig at the University of Sussex on 22nd October 1966. As noted in my post of 27th February 2010, I admit I cannot remember their performance. But I still have the ticket.


In December, Bowie had left the Buzz to go solo, followed by joining another band, The Riot Squad, in 1967. A usual, that did not last.

No comments: