Tuesday 15 January 2019

Tring Book Club - The Cleaner of Chartres by Sally Vickers


My first reading of a Sally Vickers novel, and only because a book club choice. I enjoyed the story of Agnes Morel told in real time and in flashback. The author has connected both in subtle and clever ways.  A simple construction but effective. At the point when Agnes arrives at the cathedral on page 63, I was hooked. I warmed to the various characters in Chartres and those from before Agnes arrived in the town. However, there were probably too many as each was only thinly drawn.

Although this is often a mostly an uplifting novel, there are dark passages that counterweight the lightness. However, I found the long passages describing in detail every corner of the cathedral, to be too distracting, and the ending a little too contrived. However I shall search out another book by Sally Vickers to add to my reading list.

No comments: