Friday 4 January 2019

Review of 2018

If I start with running, as I did last year, it is the two races where the weather was too warm to first come to mind. I only run one half marathon a year, and choosing Milton Keynes in early May was maybe a mistake. The sun was beating down in the middle of the day and there was hardly any shade. I have never stopped to walk before on any run, but this time after eight miles I did, alternately jogging and walking to the finish. It was equally sunny for the Great South Run. My time was down on the previous year, but a reasonable run for the conditions.

The year started better with the MK 10K where I came first in my age category and received a nice certificate, and ended with the South Bucks 10K. This time it was a trophy and a small Sainsbury voucher for an age category first. So no guessing my best distance. Seventh out of ten in my age grade for the Half, 12th out of 55 for GSR, 7th out of 14 for the Maidenhead 10 and 4th out of 16 for the Marlow 5 put things in perspective.

The sunny weather throughout 2018 was in evidence during our two main holidays in the Lake District and Cornwall. The fell walks to Calf Crag and Stickle Tarn were amazing in the relentless sunshine, it was good to reach the peaks where it was cooler. The short break for the Hay Festival was memorable, taking in Sudeley Castle on the way, the day at the Festival and at Hereford Cathedral and Mappa Mundi on the final day. Of course, we did enjoy the three days away at Portsmouth, so much that the hotel for next year is already booked.

In April, having received all the necessary permissions from my sources,  I finally published the history of my mother's ancestors (the Askews) on a weebly website: https://thesascoughsofeastfen.weebly.com.

The highlight of my visits to the theatre was Laura Linney's solo performance in My Name is Lucy Barton at the superb new Bridge Theatre. I also thoroughly enjoyed Emma Rice's new company in Wise Children at the Oxford Playhouse, less so the two Pinter plays at The Harold Pinter Theatre, although Janie Dee is always worth seeing. Maria Aberg's The Duchess of Malfi at Stratford was a much darker affair than her usual productions of classic plays. Oxford Playhouse staged excellent touring productions of A Streetcar Named Desire and Duet for One. Milton Keynes Theatre once again hosted the touring English National Ballet, this time with Manon. Absolutely Superb.

My favourite films came early in the year with Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, The Darkest Hour, The Post and A Quiet Place. I also enjoyed Leave No Trace, Hotel Artemis, A Simple Favour,  Widows and of course Mamma Mia HWGA. But later came the quite brilliant  Bad Times at the El Royale. Of the theatre productions shown live in cinemas this year, the highlight for me was Oscar Wilde's Lady Windermere's Fan. A superbly entertaining performance. 

I continued this year with visits to see new architecture in London. In June it was the new development at Paddington Basin (coupled with the Monet and Architecture exhibition at The National Gallery and The Bridge Theatre in the evening), in September to the Victoria and Albert Museum's new Exhibition Road Quarter and November to see the redevelopment of the Royal Academy.

Only one concert this year, but what a fabulous evening. Nerina Pallot solo at The Stables in Milton Keynes was unforgettable.



No comments: