Thursday 26 April 2018

A Quiet Place, Ready Player One and Every Day


I was approaching A Quiet Place with trepidation. Not because it would be scary, but that the silences would be spoilt by noise from the audience. I need not have worried. Those who attended this screening were as quiet as the family on the screen. Director John Krasinski and co writers Scott Beck and Bryan Woods have created an intelligent and emotional movie from an unpromising concept. Emily Blunt was brilliant as the mother, it was just a pity that the director had to cast himself as the father. He was pretty wooden. However, that did not spoil a wonderfully superior thriller.


Oh dear. I should have realised that there would be an overwhelming portion of CGI sequences in Ready Player One. However, I had thought that with Steven Spielberg in charge, there might be some memorable moments. But I can only remember that dance to "Staying Alive" at the disco. The rest was the same old CGI fantasy. I was surprised to see Mark Rylance. No he couldn't save it (and he didn't wear his hat) and nor could an almost unrecognisable Simon Pegg.


It was film critic Mark Kermode who hinted that Every Day was a surprisingly good movie. In the absence of anything better, I took his advice. Like Mark, I thought that it was an excellent piece of film making. Jesse Andrews made a fine adaptation of the book by David Levithan, and director Michael Bucsy has brought the best out of his (mainly) young cast. I found the story entertaining and engrossing. Good writing never fails. Thank you Mark.

No comments: