Wednesday 28 March 2018

Lady Bird, Finding Your Feet and Tomb Raider


Lady Bird seemed to me to be straight off one of those American TV dramas that, I must admit, I don't watch. I almost walked out after twenty minutes of boredom, but I think I'm glad I stayed. Saoirse Ronan did well in the title role of a pathetic and unlikable teenager. The adults were much better. The ultra sharp editing was ridiculous, but it did save on some excruciating scenes.


I found Finding Your Feet much more agreeable. The story was pretty obvious, but the screenplay by Nick Moorcroft (and Meg Leonard? Really?) was fine. What amazed me was how the cast of well known British actors through themselves into their roles. They were all so good, especially Celia Imrie. Well done to director Richard Loncraine for making this an enjoyable experience.


I thought Tomb Raider might be OK. It wasn't super hero or fantasy stuff, although the last part was pretty predictable, just another tomb, obviously. I preferred the back story, and Alicia Vikander did show an early vulnerability as a youthful Lara Croft. That is until the real adventure starts.

No comments: