Monday 12 March 2018

Film Awards 2018

My visit to the cinema today to see Lady Bird meant that I had seen all nine movies nominated for best film at this year's Oscars (nine) and BAFTA (five). Let's start with the winner of the Oscar The Shape of Water. I have to agree with Kevin Maher, film critic of The Times when he describes it as a "Drippy, yet Oscar winning, fish-man fantasy". I would give it one more star than his two, but it would never have made my list for best film. A movie with the best production design does not equal best film and best director. A man dressed up in a costume was fine until he got out of the water! A fantasy romance is so strange; just an an upmarket B-Movie.

But I think I know why it won. Anything to stop Brit Martin McDonagh winning. Even Get Out (a worthy contender) somehow beat Three Billboards for best original screenplay. Come on! At least Three Billboards won the BAFTA for best film and screenplay.

But then for the same film, Frances McDormand deservedly won the Oscar for best actress of those nominated. Well, she is American. All the performances by the nominated actresses and supporting actresses were better than any nominated actor. Gary Oldman should have been glad he was in his own category. Margot Robbie was great in I,Tonya but even better in Goodbye Christopher Robin that was a better film than many on the Oscar list. And so was Breathe, Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool  (Annette Bening was my favourite for best actress) and The Death of Stalin.

However, one award made up for all the others. Roger Deakins winning his first Oscar for best cinematography after fourteen previous nominations.

No comments: