Wednesday 4 May 2016

Tring Book Club - The Secret River by Kate Grenville


Another book club, another Australian writer (a previous selection was Thomas Keneally's "The Daughters of Mars").  We also recently read Patrick Gale's superb novel about early settlers in Canada "A Place Called Winter". The latest book club choice swops Canada for Australia with Kate Grenville's "The Secret River". I found the story leading up to William Thornhill's transportation to Sydney Cove a bit of a jumble. In fact I was not at any time impressed by the writing.

However there is an interesting story to be told about how convicts became the first settlers in New South Wales and the last third of the book certainly picks up the pace. There are huge challenges to be faced by William's family and these culminate in something raw and harrowing. So although I was glad when I finished the book, the experience will stay with me for a long long time.

No comments: