Tuesday 9 February 2016

Terry Wogan


Like many people, Terry Wogan was a big part in my life. I first listened to his breakfast show in 1972 on my longish car journey from Farnsfield in Nottinghamshire to the site office at Bretton in Peterborough. These were the days of "Fight the Flab" but more importantly the mixture of great records and his Irish blarney.

A few years went by after we moved to Peterborough and then I was back listening in 1977, this time on another long journey to Harlow and Cheshunt. And then in 1979 on the morning drive from our home in Puckeridge to the office in High Wycombe. All the way through to Terry leaving Radio 2 in 1984, there were many early morning journeys in the early eighties around the various contracts in the south east and trips to head office all to the accompaniment of Wake Up to Wogan.

I have been trying to remember some of wordplay that punctuated his show, but so far I have only come up with Burley Chassis (for every single playing of a Shirley Bassey record) and the Bag of Spanners that were The Corrs. There were many more. Thanks Terry.

No comments: