Sunday 21 February 2016

4 Years of Running, and 100 Parkruns

My first ever run was on 16th February 2012. Just a very slow 2 miles with rests. Alison was pacing me for those first few runs, but off on my own I was running far too fast and ended up with a calf strain in April.

My first Parkrun was on the 31st March at Black Park, amazing I could run a 5K under 30 minutes. I can remember so well running with Alison and couldn't  believe how fast we started. But then came that injury which set me back a few weeks.

Saturday was my 100th Parkrun. As Alison wasn't there, I thought this milestone might just slip under the radar. No chance. Our run director Graham announced my name at the start. I could not believe how loud was the applause, mainly because we don't have that many runners (170). I doffed my running cap.

At the end lots of runners came up to talk to me including a chap I have never seen before who asked me questions on the way round. And then there was Neil who, having finished a lot earlier, ran with me the last couple of hundred yards so he could shout out "100" as we approached the finish. Thanks Neil.


No comments: