Tuesday 12 November 2013

Sunshine on Leith, Captain Phillips and Philomena

At a fraction of the budget, Sunshine on Leith showed what the film versions of Mama Mia and Les Miserables were missing. And that was total energy and commitment from the cast and crew. Dexter Fletchers' adaptation of the Dundee Rep stage show is a remarkable feat. It does help that the Edinburgh setting looks so great, and makes for a tourist promotion for it's pubs. ( I still remember the one across the road from our hotel on our visit there). Of course the songs of The Proclaimers are terrific and they are sung which such gusto and warmth. Jane Horrocks and Peter Mullan are superb and the younger members of the cast are also very good. This is a wonderful feelgood movie quite unlike anything I have seen for ages. Think Gregory's Girl with great songs. The finale based on I 'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) is worth the price of admission alone.

So much has been said about Captain Phillips that there is little I can add. Paul Greengrass takes his hand held camera on board Tom Hanks' hijacked container ship. The tension is palpable from the start and never lets up. Outstanding movie making.

I was slightly disappointed with Philomena. Although it is a moving story, and the acting of Judi Dench and Steve Coogan is first class, I found it a little predictable and unconvincing. I think this may have had something to do with the script. Philomena is a wonderful character, but just a little too much seeking our sympathy. She did have a proper family after all. And Martin Sixsmith is portrayed as unbelievably  too hard and sarcastic, I guess as not to glamorise the writer of the book on which the story is based. But there is much to enjoy in the relationship of this mismatched couple, and director Stephen Frears creates a wonderful atmosphere. I have to say that the last half hour is fantastic, so my overall reservations are actually too trivial.

No comments: