Friday 29 November 2013

A Career in Construction - Part 6

Back at Head Office in the September of 1968 and a totally unmemorable year at work. I guess that we were being prepared more for our final exams coming up in the Spring. Only two sessions at college, the very last of all in January. When I arrived back from  Leeds, I was finding it difficult to find somewhere to live until my friend Trevor Pargeter persuaded his landlord to let me and John Lamprell  take the top floor flat in Kingston, and only because we would all be moving on in the summer. We were all very happy there, sharing car journeys to and from Hammersmith.

The most important decision came in the summer, towards the end of our time in Central Estimating. We had to decide where we would go as a permanent move. One department I was encouraged to join was the fledgling computer department. But binary numbers was a foreign language to me, and I really wanted to get back on site. Unfortunately, all those opportunities had gone and the only regional vacancy became a position in the Nottingham Regional Office, with the possibility of a site position there in the future. So Nottingham here we come.

No comments: