Sunday 15 September 2013

Caitlin Rose - The Shepherd's Bush Empire Revisited


I guess it must have been 54 years ago that I was last inside The Shepherd's Bush Empire. It was the day I made my first and only television appearance. You have to look on my posting of 17th February 2010 to get the full account. In those days it was the BBC Television Theatre, having opened in 1903 as a music hall and only taken over by the BBC in 1953. They left in 1991 and since then it has been a successful music venue with a capacity of 2000. Standing on the ground floor and seating on levels 1, 2 and 3.  
And so it was on Thursday that I went to see Caitlin Rose, a singer/songwriter whose latest album "The Stand In" I rated highly on my posting of 5th July this year.
I was so glad that she had her full band with her after the slight disappointments of the scaled down performances of Kathleen Edwards and Brandi Carlile. We were treated to a set that took most of the songs from her two albums together with a few great covers. Her sweet voice was on fine form and the band complemented it so well. I thought the outstanding piece was the up-tempo "Only a Clown", a clever slightly faster version than the album track. Many of her songs she calls this "sad-bitch music" so I'm certain that one Jackson Brodie is sure to include her songs on his next outing.

No comments: