Tuesday 3 September 2013

Back Running - Hurrah!

It was nearly six weeks ago that I last ran. The knee injury was a mystery. It could have been a result of the fall I had down the canal towpath a couple of weeks before, or just a build up of stress on the joint. The closest I came to a diagnosis was the x-ray that showed a patella alta, or raised kneecap. This can be caused by damage to a tendon. Whatever the cause, it was not getting any better for over a month.

Then quite suddenly, at the beginning of last week, I noticed an improvement. A decent walk on Tuesday brought no reaction, nor did my first swim for two months on Friday. Two more good walks over the weekend and I was ready for a run yesterday. I managed a slow mile followed by a rest and then another half mile. No reaction this morning, so I'm off out to try again.

I have missed being able to run, especially Saturday morning Park Runs.  I had just achieved a 5K Park Run PB on 6th July. Is that co-incidental with my injury? However it has meant that I have been able to volunteer a couple of times at Wycombe Park Run. I am now quite proficient using the scanner to log runners positions and times. But it will be nice to be a runner next time.

No comments: