Wednesday 2 January 2013

Goodbye to 2012

What a year. I thought 2011 was good, what with our big trip to the USA and Michael and Sara's wedding. But this year, my sixth of retirement, was something else.

Where to start. Early in the year I posted quite a few articles about Mum and Dad, something that had been in preparation for some time. Recently I have transferred all my family history data on both Mum and Dad's ancestors onto two websites. So what has been one of my major projects for the last few years has come to an end. Well not quite. There is always something to do. A visit to Rotherham is a priority, and finally completing all I can find about my great grandfather, Bob Leather, who played for Rotherham Town.

Perhaps the most amazing thing that happened during the year was starting running. It is Alison I have to thank for her encouragement and helping me get started by pacing me on our runs along the canal. I normally go out three times a week, one of which is a long run of six to eight miles. I have completed five Park Runs at Milton Keynes and Black Park, a 5K at Charvil and the wonderful Marlow 5 Mile. I still cannot quite believe what is happening. I still get out for walks in the Chiltern Hills, but not quite as often as before.

Two improvements on the house this year. A new glass roof to the conservatory and a new block paved drive. Nothing like that envisaged for 2013.

Then there was the Jubilee Party for our everyone on our road. Diverted from the street to a marquee in one of our neighbour's garden, we were still frozen despite being under cover. But there was a good turnout. One of next door neighbours was coming, but Cathy ended up in hospital after a fall, so her husband was otherwise engaged.

Obviously the Olympics has been a huge event. We joined the crowds to see the torch relay on it's way from Aylesbury to Stoke Mandeville, and then the Paralympic torch relay that came through our village at nearly midnight. We were at the Olympic Stadium for Super Saturday, only in the morning. Our seats were just above the long jump pit so we were able to cheer Jessica Ennis on her way to winning the Heptathlon. Her penultimate event, the javelin, took place after all the track qualification races were over. Just magic.

Other sporting highlights inclduded watching Alison's beloved City winning the Premier League. The balloons were out again. We were glued to the Tour de France, watching Andy Murray win the USA Open, the Ryder Cup and the Test Series in India. Finishing the year with victory in the second T20 there with a six off the last ball.

Two holidays. Our spring venture to Bruges via Eurotunnel was marked by an unexpected event in the city. The Procession of the Holy Blood was spectacular as it was surprising. Cornwall in September was as great as ever. The bodyboarding the brilliant.

Book Club continues every two months, and I have joined Michael and Sara on goodreads.com. My favourite book of the year was "The Art of Fielding", but there are quite a few with five stars on my reviews. My favourite film was "Margin Call", very early in the year, but recently "Silver Linings Playbook" also gets my vote. "A Long Day's Journey Into Night" was the best play I have seen this year, although "King John" at Stratford was something else. And in the autumn it was great to go with Alison to see ENB's "The Sleeping Beauty" (watch out for newcomer Ksenyia Ovsyanick) and "Phantom of the Opera", both stunning productions at Milton Keynes Theatre.

Alison went with her sister to see "Strictly Come Dancing" which turned out to be a fantastic day/night. On my blog, "Songs from Call the Midwife" (22nd February) has been my popular posting yet, with over 5,000 hits. Amazing.

So to my number one highlight of the year. When we went to that Saturday morning session of the Olympics, I took with me an extract from The Times that compared the top heptathletes, and the current points scores so we could keep up with how Jessica Ennis was doing. When her third round jump came in at 6.48 metres, I knew the gold medal was hers. What a day that was.



No comments: