Wednesday 22 February 2012

Songs from "Call the Midwife" - Series 1 and The Christmas Special 2012



(Song Listing for Series 2 on post of  21st January 2013, the Christmas Special 2013 on post of 31st December 2013 and Series 3 on post of 20th January 2014)

Listening again to the song "Little Darlin'" from Episode 6 of "Call the Midwife", I wanted to see if there were any other such classics from the series. There is no list of songs from the series anywhere on the Internet, and the BBC failed to acknowledge them in the credits at the end of each episode. And I'm one of those people who stay in my seat at the cinema, waiting for the list of songs at the end of the credits. So that is why I decided to try and list them all here.
Thanks to the "Call the Midwife" Facebook page and their link to the Amazon list on the double CD, I can now reveal all the artists as well as the songs. The CD is not episode by episode, so here they are.

Episode 1
"Que Sera Sera" by Doris Day with Frank Devol and his orchestra. It was good to hear Doris Day again. I have to admit I did have one her albums a long, long time ago.

"Stranger in Paradise" by The Four Aces. Someone likes this group. They were there again on Christmas Day.

Episode 2
"Embraceable You" by The Solitaires.

"You Belong To Me" by The Duprees.

"Love is a Many Splendored Thing" by The Four Aces. Here they are again.

Episode 3
"Magic Moments" by Perry Como and the Ray Charles Singers. My mum loved Perry Como. She never missed any of his TV shows.

"You're Just in Love (I Wonder Why)" by Perry Como.

Episode 4
"Lollipop" by The Chordettes. Thanks to Anonymous (10th November) and Marie for spotting my omission.

"Next Time You See Me" by Junior Parker.

"Love Me Forever" beautifully sung by Eydie Gorme.

"Ram Bunk Shush" by Bill Doggett. Thanks to Iain Cooke for letting me know.

Episode 5
"Someone to Watch over Me" by Blossom Dearie.

"Who needs you" by The Four Lads.

"Meet me on the Corner" by Max Bygraves. I had missed this, so thanks again to Iain.

"Good Golly" by Johnny Otis. Ditto.

Episode 6
"Little Darlin" by The Diamonds. My favourite and in my opinion there is nothing that compares with this Maurice Williams composition.

"Hot Diggity (Dog Ziggity Boom)" by Perry Como. I know, what a title, but Perry sings it well.

"Why Do Fools Fall In Love" by Frankie Lymon and The Teenagers.

So that is the list. I had to trawl through the episodes on iplayer (too much time on my hands), so I may have missed something along the way. Was it worth it? As it turns out, I guess it was.

The Christmas Special included the following songs:

"Walk Hand In Hand" by Andy Williams
"Oh Holy Night" by The Four Aces
"Christmas Story" by Doris Day (thanks to Anonymous)

The double CD contains lots more songs, which I guess will be featured in the second series.

32 comments:

Pam said...

>"Was it worth it? Not really."

Wouldn't say that - I'd been thinking about creating a Spotify playlist, but couldn't find a list of the songs until I Googled your blog entry ;-)

Have set up a quick playlist:

http://open.spotify.com/user/catterbutts/playlist/2eM1kiYdyWQ067x1b57vPp

but not sure if I have picked up the correct versions of all the tracks.

If you hint down any more tracks, keep posting :-)

Anonymous said...

'Was it worth it? Not really' Oh I so disagree!! I've just watched 'Call the Midwife' and was sure I was listening to Perry Como (I've always been a fan). Your efforts confirmed it - the song is 'You're Just in Love' and the singer is ... Perry Como! Thank you for your efforts - much appreciated - I would never have found this otherwise as I was originally searching Google under the title 'Wonder Why'. :) Great work :)

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that wasn't Marion Ryan singing Love Me Forever?

David Roberts said...

Unfortunately,the BBC iplayer no longer holds "Call the Midwife" to check. But on the Dreaming Realist website, there is a comment from Rita who confirms it is Eydie Gorme. The Marion Ryan version is also on YouTube with a comment it was Eydie and not Marion who sang on the programme. But I could not say either way. Does anyone have the DVD?

Anonymous said...

Listening to "Magic Moments" now :)

I'm almost sure I heard "Lollipop" by the Chordettes in Episode 4.

ck said...

anyone know the title song by peter salem?

ck said...

anyone know the title song by peter salem?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you took the time to put this list together, definitely not a waste!
I have been searching for a list of the music from this show, as I really love love love it all...thank you very much for sharing this!

-From an expecting new Mama that loves to dance around the house preparing for baby with this music!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to thank you for posting this. I'm glad you had the list for us that loved the music from this series. I am watching for the first time and I love it.

Sophie said...

TY! Was trying to find all the songs myself, but figured someone else must have done so already.

Anonymous said...

The music has been in my head for weeks. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this and to the person for making a Spotify list. It is appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you. I was looking for the list since my firend loves the music from the show...I want to burn CD for her for Christmas,

David Roberts said...

Glad to be of help.

Marie said...

oops you forgot "Lollipop" by the Chordetees as the first song in episode 4.

David Roberts said...

Thanks Marie. I have just found out that there is an album out in February called "Call The Midwife: The Album". On www.facebook.com/callthemidwifeofficial, there is a link to preorder on Amazon (where you will see the full list of songs on the double CD. I will now verify my own list. They also mention the two songs from last night's Christmas Special. They are "Walk Hand In Hand" by Andy Williams and "Oh Holy Night" by The Four Aces.The link to Amazon is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Call-The-Midwife-Album/dp/B00AOAO24G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356091867&sr=8-1

Rick Galusha said...

Thanks for posting this. The music really was distinct and added a great deal to the texture of the viewing experience. Rick

Anonymous said...

One of the songs from the Christmas Special is Andy Williams' Walk Hand in Hand With Me"

Anonymous said...

Could someone please answer: Who sang the version of Silent Night that was played at the end of this years Christmas episode?

Anonymous said...

Who sang the lovely song during the Christmas special's pageant at the end of the show?
Thanks

Unknown said...

Just watched the Christmas special. Loved the last song. I think it was Doris Day. Can anyone confirm?

Dad Incorporated said...

Was Andy Williams singing in the Holiday special? name of song?

Anonymous said...

It was a woman's voice...

Anonymous said...

Doris day..o come little children, or christmas story

Barbara Albin said...

Thank you for listing the songs. I knew it was Andy Williams at the end, but just wanted to make sure. So beautiful, again thank you.

Anonymous said...

The beautiful song at the end of the the Christmas Special is "Christmas Story" sung by Doris Day.

summerrain said...

Thank you very much for posting the list of songs in the Christmas special.
The funny things is that the BBC version has a man singing Silent night, and in PBS (American version) there is a song by Doris Day. Is it a Christmas miracle? lol

Anonymous said...

Hi, what are the songs played in series 2 episode 5? In particular a song played at the end?

David Roberts said...

The songs from Series 2 are on my post of 21st January 2013, and those from episode 5 are now there. All except for the very last song whose last few bars has me stumped.

Jaume Taulats Martin said...

The "Little Darlin" is also my favorite song, along with "Magic Moments" Episode 3. I love the series. I was born in 1958 into a poor family in a village in Barcelona, despite the differences between Spain and England, the poverty that is represented in the series reminds me of my early childhood, and songs of those years, which probably I heard on the radio. I still have yet to see the first few chapters of the second series and all, and I hope to see them excitedly.

Jaume Taulats Martin said...

The "Little Darlin" is also my favorite song, along with "Magic Moments" Episode 3. I love the series. I was born in 1958 into a poor family in a village in Barcelona, despite the differences between Spain and England, the poverty that is represented in the series reminds me of my early childhood, and songs of those years, which probably I heard on the radio. I still have yet to see the first few chapters of the second series and all, and I hope to see them excitedly.

Unknown said...

omg !!!! LOVE the music on Call The Midwife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TY !!!

David Roberts said...

Glad you like the music too, Linda. Listings for Series 2 is here on 21st January 2013 and for Series 3 on 20th January 2014.