Friday 28 October 2011

131 Songs - Numbers 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, and 123

Number 116 - Nothing Else Matters by Lucie Silvas

This list of some of my favourite female singer songwriters starts with three great waltzes. I just cannot believe Lucie Silvas has not been more successful. She has two fabulous albums, "Breathe In" and "The Same Side", but was dropped by her record label after the second had poor sales. She apparently has recorded some new songs, so here's hoping for their release soon and some live shows.

Number 117 - Through The Dark by KT Tunstall

After her first excellent album "Eye to the Telescope" (from which my chosen song is taken) and then the not quite as good but quite reasonable "Drastic Fantastic", I did not even bother with her latest disappointing "Tiger Suit". What we want is more songs like the sublime "Through the Dark".

Number 118 - Freeze by Honey Ryder

Honey Ryder are Lindsay O'Mahoney and Martyn Shone. Their only album "Rising Up" is an absolute belter. I have chosen "Freeze" but there are other great tracks too. They are working on a new album, so I hope we do not have long to wait.

Number 119 - Poison Prince by Amy McDonald

This was a hard choice. There are so many good songs on her two albums "This is the Life" and "A Curious Thing". Her uptempo numbers are particularly good and "Poison Prince" is one of those. It never ceases to thrill. I also posted a review (31st October 2010) when I saw her live in Cambridge.

Number 120 - Hometown Glory by Adele

There has been enough said about Adele so it doesn't need me to say how brilliant she is. I try not to play her two albums "19" and "21" too much so they stay fresh when I hear them. "Hometown Glory" (from her first album) is remarkable for the combination of the song, Adele's voice and the piano of Neil Cowley. Superb.

Number 121 - Again Today by Brandi Carlile

I was so disappointed when Brandi cancelled her tour here when we had the ash cloud as I was so looking forward tom seeing one of my favourite singers. Like the last two artists, there are two competing albums for my choice, "The Story and "Give up the Ghost". Her self titled debut album is also pretty good. I nearly chose "Before it Breaks" from her latest album or the title track from "The Story" (with the crashing chords that put Coldplay in their place). But "Again Today" from the same album is just so wonderful, it gets me every time.

Number 122 - Take My Hand by Dido

It was hard to pick a Dido song as there is not one that stands out. But I love her albums ("No Angel", "Life for Rent" and "Safe Trip Home" so much, I had to find one track for this list. And from her first album I found that "Take My Hand" is actually a classic.

Number 123 - The Cheapest Key by Kathleen Edwards

Of all the songs she could have chosen for her set on Monday, the one I was really looking forward to was "The Cheapest Key" from her latest and best album "Asking For Flowers", although "Failer" and "Back to Me" also have some very good tracks. But it just didn't happen. I guess it needs her full band to give it the big impact it certainly has.

No comments: