Monday 17 October 2011

131 Songs - Numbers 111, 112 and 113

Number 111 - The Scientist by Coldplay

One of the few modern male bands that I like. In fact, I will have to see them live sometime. The magic thing about this brilliant song is the way the instrumental builds through the piece. It starts with a quiet organ before being joined by acoustic guitar and piano, and later electric guitar and drums. It is when the guitar crashes into the final instrumental that it really gets me every time.  I love their breakthrough album "A Rush of Blood to the Head" from which this track is taken, but "X&Y" that features "Fix You" is even better. I have to say that Chris Martin has always been very generous the way all the songwriting credits go to the whole band. How often can we say that about others.

Number 112 - Bohemian Like You by The Dandy Warhols

I have no idea who The Dandy Warhols are, but I have always loved this song.

Number 113 - When the Stars go Blue by Ryan Adams

I will look for recommendations of songs in many places: the radio, amazon, newspapers and magazines. But I have my son Michael to thank for finding Ryan Adams. I started of with his album "Gold" as I guess many newcomers would. It may be his classic album, and certainly my chosen song is here, along with other great tracks. But the other three albums of his in my collection are also very good, all in different ways. "Cardinology", the last of these, is fresh and exhilarating. And I am really looking forward to hearing his latest, and very well received, album "Ashes and Fire". On my Christmas list?

No comments: