Tuesday 23 August 2011

Quainton Hill Walk

Monday was a beautiful sunny day, and the final test match against India was petering out to a draw, so I drove to the village of Quainton to start a brand new walk. I had always been interested to see the hills to the north east of Aylesbury that are visible from the Chiltern escarpment.
I downloaded a couple of routes from the web that both started from Quainton. I parked as suggested by the village green, not far from the ancient cross and the famous windmill.
The route took me through the village and very pretty it was, ending up at the impressive church.
I followed the path out of the village and up Quainton Hill. At the top there is a mast which signifies the highest point.
I had in fact missed the actual footpath so instead of following the instructed route, I headed off in the direction of North Marston. The rolling green pastures reminded me of downland, and their open nature gave some great views across to the Chiltern ridge.
There were also great views across the valley to Waddesdon.
The only problem in losing the route, was that I came back the same way.



No comments: