Tuesday 5 July 2011

Kathleen Edwards, Amanda Marshall, Lucy Kaplansky, Caitlin Rose, The Chapin Sisters, Lissie, Nerina Pallot and Adele

Ever since I listened to Kathleen Edwards' (who comes from Canada) latest album "Asking For Flowers", it was only a matter of time until I bought her two earlier recordings "Failer" and "Back To Me". And whilst these are not quite up to the brilliance of the new one, they were still worth the investment. Her music is typically the mix of country and folk that so dominates my music collection these days. There are so many great tracks on all three albums, she is a really special singer and songwriter.

It was only when the self titled album from Amanda Marshall (another Canadian) arrived did I realise most of the songs are cover versions. And worthy as most of these are, I would have liked to hear more of her own compositions. But there is one big surprise here of a song she wrote. "Sittin' On Top Of The World" is the title song from the album by LeeAnn Rimes. Of the other two songs she wrote, "Dark Horse" is another great track. The album was recorded in 1995, and although she made two more in 1999 and 2001, there is nothing there to compare with her first. Shame.

Lucy Kaplansky was born in Chicago and moved to New York when she was eighteen. Her music is very much folk based. Two of the covers on her latest album "Over The Hills" are by June Carter ("Ring of Fire") and Julie Miller, which shows the kind of artists that have influenced her style. But it is her own compositions that shine through. Her opening track, appropriately called "Manhattan Moon" has a distinct sound of Nanci Griffith about it. No bad thing. Of her five other albums, I might try "The Red Thread". Will give it a listen first.

Following her fairly ordinary EP "Dead Flowers", the debut album from Catlin Rose is a much better offering.  Altogether more indie/alt-country rock than folk, her slightly unusual songs are well worth repeat listening. Four of the ten tracks are covers, which leaves a good selection of her own songs to enjoy. She has a great voice, and her backing musicians make for a great album.

I was definitely in two minds whether to buy a Chapin Sisters CD after listening to excerpts on the net. But having gone for their 2008 album "Lake Bottom" I was not disappointed. Although the early tracks are just reasonable, the final two are quite magical and worth the investment on their own. The Chapin Sisters are Abigail Chapin, Lily Chapin and Jessica Craven. Lily is to the fore (writing and singing) on track ten "Bird Song" and Abigail on the final track "I Hate The Moon". These are so outstanding that their latest album "Two" (Jessica only adds some vocals) has just arrived.

After being knocked out by Lissie's album "Catching a Tiger" (my posting of 13th August 2010), I now have her earlier EP "why you runnin". Not quite in the same class as her latest recording but classy just the same. She is doing four nights in Norway in August. Why not here?

Somehow I missed posting a review of Nerina Pallot's album "fires". It may have been that on first listen it did nothing for me. However it does get better the more I play it. Her music is modern indie pop, not something that I usually listen to. But her songs on this album work really well. Like many others, I then went for her earlier and debut album "dear frustrated superstar". Again not to the standard of "fires" but still worth a listen, although it is still early days.

Everything that has been said about Adele is true. She is just a phenomenon. Although I prefer her first album "19" (see posting of 7th March 2008), her latest "21" is quite extraordinary. It obviously appeals to all generations as she has a huge young audience through to oldies like me. My favourite tracks are again those that feature the piano of the brilliant Neil Cowley, "Turning Tables and "Take It All". His accompaniment on "Make You Feel My Love" and "Hometown Glory" from "19" are still preferable, if only he had played on "Someone Like You", it may have beaten the lot. But I guess as Dan Wilson co-wrote this other stand out track, he had to play on it

No comments: