Thursday 21 July 2011

All's Well That Ends Well at the Globe Theatre

It had been nearly three months since I had been to the theatre ("The Knot of the Heart" at The Almeida) and I was beginning to have serious withdrawal symptoms. I had never seen "All's Well That Ends Well" so on Tuesday I took myself off to the Globe. Alison has given up on the theatre ever since enduring (her word) Ian McKellen's fascist "Richard III". But the seats at the Oxford New Theatre are really to blame.

My brilliant "Essential Shakespeare Handbook" calls it "one of Shakespeare's problem plays". It is rarely performed, although after this production, maybe that will change. It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening. The acting was generally first class and almost entirely clearly spoken. So us virgins (and the early instruction from James Garnon's wonderful Parolles on the subject is very funny) to the play can understand what is going on. It was Janie Dee's performance as the Countess of Roussillon that I really wanted to see, having enjoyed her roles in some of the Alan Ayckbourn comedies. I was not disappointed. Whenever she appeared, she dominated the stage. I have to congratulate director John Dove for bringing out the best from the text and the actors. The only downside for me was the slightly turgid plot involving the trick played on Parolles. But that apart, all I can say is "Bravo".

Just a note about the weather. Whilst we lucky ones in the seats were quite warm , given the forecast of a chilly evening, those in the pit had to cope with two hefty showers in the first half hour. Well done those in the cast who forsook the shelter of their canopy to show solidarity with that part of the  audience who got wet.

No comments: