Wednesday 10 November 2010

131 Songs - Numbers 63, 64 and 65

Songs from Films

Coming up to halfway through my choice of 131 songs, it's time to list those that, for me, have played such a big part in making a scene in a movie so memorable. There are quite a few. Here are the first three.

Number 63 - I've Waited So Long by Anthony Newley

One of the films I saw in my teenage years was the 1959 movie Idol On Parade. This was basically a vehicle for the twin acting and singing talents of Anthony Newley. He started out as a child actor, graduating to more mature roles when he became an adult. The song has not stood the test of time, it seems very hammy these days. But it did reach number 3 in the charts, due mainly to it's exposure in the film. And it does stay in my memory after all this time.

Number 64 - I Should have Known Better by The Beatles

Everything I want to say was described in my posting of the 8th September 2009: The London Pavilion cinema, the soundtrack of A Hard Day's Night, the guards'van. And I went to see the film twice in a week.

Number 65 - You Never Can Tell by Chuck Berry
The world famous Jack Rabbit Slims Twist Contest is, for me, the highlight of Pulp Fiction. John Travolta and Una Thurman dance to victory to one of Chuck's greatest songs. It provided a never to be forgotten moment in movie history.

No comments: