Wednesday 28 July 2010

131 Songs - Numbers 46, 47, 48 and 49

I have been rustling through two boxes of old 45's and found two songs that were already on my list and two that were not.

Number 46 - The Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood

This was one of the first on my list of favourite songs. I can't say I like the the band, but this is written by them and is just a fabulous production, again by Trevor Horn. Taken from the album "Welcome to the Pleasuredome), the single was released in 1984. As it says on the cover "make love your goal". The sleeve also fitted in an outer cover, quite unusual.

Number 47 - 99 Red Balloons by Nena

Or should it be 99 Luftballoons, and should I have chose the German language version instead? There is just too much information on wikipedia about the intricacies of the translation to repeat here, but the idea of the song is terrific and it still invokes the atmosphere of 1984.

Number 48 - The Future's So Bright I Gotta wear Shades

Probably the least obvious song on my list, and one I had completely forgotten until I found the 45 in the box. The most successful song by this American band. But the lyrics are fun, although slightly disturbing about a young nuclear scientist and his bright future.

Number 49 - The Caravan of Love by The Housemartins


I had forgotten that Paul Heaton of The Beautiful South was in The Housemartins. Although he did cut his songwriting teeth as the vocalist with this band, he did not compose this one. The credits actually go to ex members of The Isley Brothers who made their recording in 1985. The Housemartins came up with their Capella version the following year and the single went to number one. Only the second such Capella record to do so, following The Flying Pickets version of "Only You", the original being the second in my 131 Songs.

No comments: